Kao, Thomas H.
Thomas Kao is Of Counsel at Fortis LLP and is an experienced business litigator with over a decade of experience handling complex litigation in state and federal courts. Thomas’s clients have ranged from startups to multinational companies. His practice areas include M&A disputes, securities litigation, data breaches, tax controversies, trade secret misappropriation claims, and partnership disputes.
Thomas served as a law clerk to Judge R. Gary Klausner of the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Prior to joining Fortis, Thomas was senior counsel at Keller/Anderle LLP, an associate at Stradling Yocca Carlson & Rauth, and in-house counsel for a commercial real estate company.
Thomas serves on the Board of Directors the Orange Country Asian American Bar Association, and on the Orange County Executive Advisory Council of Asian Americans Advancing Justice.
- Represented Broadcom founder, Dr. Henry Nicholas, and his investment partnerships in a case against the IRS for $290 million in deductions; obtained broad sanctions excluding the IRS’s pattern evidence; and reached a favorable settlement.
- Defended Standard & Poor’s against a $5 billion securities fraud action by the DOJ. Litigated against the investment banks responsible for mortgage-backed securities and obtained orders compelling Wells Fargo to turn over all discovery regarding its misconduct as mortgage lender.
- Pursued claims for breach of M&A agreement and fraud on behalf of recycling company against Bain Capital and Consolidated Container Corp.
- Advised Kingston Technology on compliance with privacy statutes after a multi-state data breach.
- Pursued False Claims Act claims on behalf of local HVAC company against Johnson Controls.
Represented MGA Entertainment in trade secret misappropriation case against Mattel.